NYPD officers brutally attacked trying to arrest man.  Judge releases attacker immediately with no bail.

NYPD officers brutally attacked trying to arrest man.  Judge releases attacker immediately with no bail.

Two Brooklyn police officers were violently attacked on Tuesday, while trying to arrest a man for drinking in public.

And it was all caught on video.

Police say the suspect and a bystander threw repeated punches at the cops in a brutal beatdown.  In the footage (link to video at bottom of article), you can see the officers being blindsided from behind as they tried to arrest a man on a Bedford-Stuyvesant sidewalk.

It happened around 5:30 p.m. near Vernon and Liberty Avenues.  The officer say they were on patrol when they spotted Bryan Williams drinking.

As they walked up to him, the 29-year-old, who can be seen in the video wearing a multi-colored coat, took off.

As the officers reached for him, the video shows that he took a wild swing, which sparked the fight.

While trying to arrest Williams, a man wearing a blue hat and blue coat, jumped into the fight from behind and began punching both officers – landing two before running away.  They later identified him as 37-year-old Darnell Brown.

A department spokeswoman said that during the struggle, the two men took an NYPD-issued cellphone from one of the officers.

Williams has been charged with robbery, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest.  He was also slapped with that violation for drinking in public.

A judge released him without bail at his arraignment in Brooklyn Criminal Court Wednesday.

That’s because he’s apparently not a danger… despite the attack on officers.

Brown was charged with robbery and assault on a police officer, and obstructing government administration.

The battle Tuesday is just the latest example of cops caught on camera being targeted on the job.  It’s something that’s outraged NYPD officials, union bosses and those of us who support law enforcement.

Water Bucket Attack

Over the summer, videos surfaced showing police officers being doused with water and food, and being assaulted as they responded to 911 calls.

One of those incidents took place in Harlem, when cops responded to a group of men splashing a woman. They arrested Ibrahima Niang, 22, and Abdoulaye Diallo, 17, for criminal mischief, and while doing so were soaked with water and had a bucket thrown at them.

 “F— you, you’re lucky you have that shield,” Niang told the officers, according to court papers. “What the f— leave us alone,” Diallo said, the criminal complaint says.

Arrests made in NYPD water attacks

Arrests made in NYPD water attacks

Also this week, a police sergeant fatally shot a man during a traffic stop after the driver tried to run the officer over.

It happened Thursday around 3 p.m. near Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx and was the second deadly shooting by the New York police this week.

Here’s what happened.

The sergeant and two officers in a marked car pulled over an S.U.V. after noticing the driver wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

The driver’s name wasn’t released as of the time of this publishing.  But the officers determined he had three outstanding warrants for failing to pay fines for violations – one of which was for littering.

Police say that when officers told the driver they were arresting him as a result of the warrants, he got out of the S.U.V.

But they say moments later, he began to physically resist and then got back behind the wheel of the vehicle.  The cops were on the driver’s side of the car, and the sergeant was on the passenger’s side.

They said that with both of the S.U.V.’s front doors open, the driver “initiated a violent struggle”.

That’s according to Terence A. Monahan, the chief of department, who held a news conference near the site of the shooting.

That’s when the sergeant fired a stun gun at the driver, but it didn’t stop him.  He not only continued to fight, but he then shifted into drive and then reverse “with the sergeant inside the vehicle at all times,” Chief Monahan said.

“When the car was put into reverse, the officer on the driver’s side had to release his grip” on the driver “and jump out of the way to avoid being hit by the car,” Chief Monahan said.

According to the police, one of the officers was dragged by the car.

The entire struggle lasted about a minute and a half, and the sergeant finally shot the driver in the chest when the car started to move.

He was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

Videos caught by bystanders captured the series of events.

A male and female officer are seen on the driver’s side of a silver S.U.V., fighting with the driver, before the car moves forward and then reverses.

In the video, you can see as the male officer jumps out of the way to avoid being hit by the open door, which slams shut moments before a shot rings out.

Immediately after, the male officer drags a bleeding man from the driver’s seat onto the pavement. He handcuffs him behind his back and then begins trying to save his life.

According to police, the officers, sergeant and a passenger in the car were not hurt.  They also said a large quantity of drugs, including cocaine, heroin and Ecstasy, were found in the S.U.V.

The first officer-involved shooting this week took place on Tuesday in Brooklyn.  That’s when they fatally shot a man after encountering him shooting at a second man.  Just hours after, police in the Bronx shot an armed man at the 225th Street subway station. He was hit once in the arm.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

LET Unity

In the meantime, new information has come to light after the media spent the last week absolutely crucifying a Fort Worth police officer after he fatally shot a woman at her home.

Initial reports said that the officer showed up to Atatiana Jefferson’s house to perform a welfare check after a call came in from the neighbors.

He was immediately demonized for shooting the homeowner. Activists slammed police for being “trigger-happy” and shooting first and asking questions later.

But it turns out, that’s not the case at all.

Aaron Dean was jailed on a murder charge Monday in the deadly Fort Worth shooting. (Tarrant County Corrections Center)

Aaron Dean was jailed on a murder charge Monday in the deadly Fort Worth shooting. (Tarrant County Corrections Center)

Now we’ve learned that it wasn’t actually a welfare check that the officer was responding to, but in fact a call about a potential burglary, according to a report from The Post.

During welfare checks, police knock on the door and wait. This situation was considered an “open-structure” call, according to Michael “Britt” London, president of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association.

London says that during these calls, police go in with a much different mindset. 

“You are at a higher sensitivity to what is going on with that house,” London said. “You have to be ready for anything. You are taking more of your environment in consideration to be ready for a surprise if there’s one.”

The public and the media took to the internet to demonize the officer, slamming his as a racist killer. They said he shouldn’t have had his gun drawn. They say he should have announced his presence more clearly.

CNN’s first paragraph of their story immediately screamed out their bias:

“A black woman was shot and killed by a white police officer in her Fort Worth, Texas home.”

Way to let the facts come in before ruining a man’s life. 

A report from VICE noted that Jefferson’s 8-year-old nephew told police that his aunt was holding a firearm in her hand as the officers responded to the scene. 

It was a freak occurrence. It’s a terrible situation. It shouldn’t have happened. But just as the media says police shoot first and ask questions later…. aren’t they doing the exact same thing?

The Shooting

Atatiana Jefferson, 28, was shot and killed by a Fort Worth Police Officer Aaron Dean, who was called to the woman’s home for a welfare check, authorities said.

In a statement, the department said it received a call at 2:25 a.m. reporting an open front door at a residence. Responding officers searched the perimeter of the house and saw a person standing inside near the window, according to police.

“Perceiving a threat, the officer drew his duty weapon and fired one shot, striking the person inside the residence,” the department stated. 

In body camera video released by police, two officers search the home from the outside with flashlights before one shouts:

“Put your hands up, show me your hands.”

One shot is then fired through a window.

Officers entered the house and located an individual and a firearm and began performing emergency medical care.

The wounded woman succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. There were no other injuries.

The department released bodycam footage of the incident “to provide transparent and relevant information to the public as we are allowed within the confines of the investigation”, it stated. 

Any video taken inside the house could not be distributed due to state law.

That state law, of course, doesn’t stop CNN from attacking the department, suggesting they are hiding something:

“CNN requested the unedited body camera footage, an incident report and dispatch audio from the dispatch call that prompted the response, but a police spokesperson said nothing additional will be released at this time,” the CNN report said.

The neighbor who called 911 about the open front door told Fox 4 the police officers didn’t announce who they were or knock on the door before searching the outside of the house.

“When I made that non-emergency call, I didn’t say it was a burglary. I didn’t say it was people fighting. I didn’t say anything to make them have a gun. All they needed to do is ring the doorbell,” James Smith said. 

Of course Mr. James Smith wasn’t actually there when the officer saw a threat brandishing a firearm.  But apparently he knows all about policing, because he once called them.

“They didn’t park up front, they parked on the side. They sent SRT, which is the special response team. They didn’t have a plainclothes officer to knock on that door,” activist and pastor Kyev Tatum said to local media outlets.

Take special note of the word “activist”.  ‘nuf said.

It’s crucial that in this age where we are in the middle of a war on police, we take special note of the clear bias in the media reporting that ensures that officers are convicted – at least in the court of public opinion – before they ever get a shot to plead their case in the court of law.According to Jefferson’s family, they were “relieved” that Dean was behind bars.

Attorney Lee Merritt said the family “needs to see this through to a vigorous prosecution and appropriate sentencing.”

On Monday,  Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus said Dean was placed on detached duty and stripped of his badge and firearm after he was served with his written administrative complaint.

“My intent was to meet with him today to terminate his employment with the Fort Worth Police Department. However, the officer tendered his resignation this morning before we met,” Kraus said. “Even though he no longer works for the city, we will continue the administrative investigation as if he did. The case will be completed and reviewed by the chain of command.

The interim chief didn’t offer any support for the officer, and sought to legally distance the department.

“Had the officer not resigned I would have fired him for violations of several policies including our use of force policy, our de-escalation policy and unprofessional conduct,” Kraus added.

Mayor Betsy Price appeared in a press conference.  She said Jefferson was “unjustly taken from her family”.  She also said the city has decided to bring a “third party panel of national experts” in to review the city’s police department.

“To Atatiana’s family: It’s unacceptable,” she said. “There is nothing that could justify what happened on Saturday morning. Nothing.”

Dean’s letter read:

“Effective immediately I am tendering my resignation from the Fort Worth Police Department.”

It was released by the state’s largest police union, the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas.

According to the group’s executive director, Charley Wilkison, Dean has not yet hired an attorney.  They also said he will be provided with financial support from the union.

Not that it comes as a shock, but the shooting lead to politicians attacking “use of force”.

“It seems like this police officer made a very quick judgment to shoot her through this window and that makes absolutely no sense at all,” Rep. Marc Veasey, a Democrat, said on Sunday night.

She and others appeared at a candlelight vigil at Jefferson’s home.

“Our welfare check turned into a death, and that should never have happened,” Fort Worth City Councilwoman Kelly Allen Gray said. “Our people, our citizens who call the police, should know the police are going to come and answer their cares and concerns in a way that does not result in a tragedy.”

According to Police Lt. Brandon O’Neil, the officer had been on the force since April 2018. 

He spoke at a brief news conference at police headquarters, and said the officer did not announce he was a police officer before he fired the deadly shot.  He said that’s at the cornerstone of the department’s investigation.

He also said Jefferson’s 8-year-old nephew was in the room with Jefferson when she was shot, and that she was watching her nephew at the time.

O’Neil went on to say representatives of the police department have spoken with the woman’s family and “shared our serious and heartfelt concern for this unspeakable loss.”

The Fort Worth Police Officers Association released a statement to the media as well.

In it, they said they are:

“Urging the Fort Worth police department to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation, and through that investigation, we hope to gain clarity and understanding of what exactly transpired.”

They added:

“Police officers take an oath to protect and serve all citizens in our great city and it is every officers’ worst fear to use deadly force in the line of duty. We are thankful for our community leaders who seek to unite during times of grief instead of divide and we hope that collaboration and peace will help guide us forward.”

Dean is now facing murder charges. He started the day as a good guy who wanted to help stop evil and save lives, and is now being portrayed as a cold-blooded killer.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Facebook Follow First

Published at Sat, 19 Oct 2019 14:24:22 +0000


Source: NYPD officers brutally attacked trying to arrest man.  Judge releases attacker immediately with no bail.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *